Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Illuminating Lives



Illuminating lives

The festive season has already set in. With a week not having lapsed since the Durga Pujo and the Eid, many wives are gearing up for the Karva Chauth and many of us are eagerly waiting for Diwali- the festival of lights. Both these festivals have been celebrated since long and are marked by use of illuminating homes and bursting firecrackers. The mention of Diwali made me recall my childhood days when I used to wait eagerly for the festival for eating kheel and khilone (available especially on Diwali) and purchase crackers worth 1000 rupees. Here is my short experience which I would like to narrate regarding Diwali.

It was 9 p.m. Like any other Diwali, I was burning sparklers. I must have been around 12 years at that time. As I used to be scared of fire, my father was around helping me light the crackers. My rest of the crackers had already been burnt and only three sparklers were left. I could hear my mom calling me for dinner. As I was about to light my second last sparkler, a young lad of around five or six years of age came beside me from (god knows) somewhere. His face was expressionless and he was watching me silently. After few minutes, I noticed him and understood that he wanted to play with sparklers. I had only one sparkler left and was too greedy to give him. Also, I thought if he is so poor, what good a sparkler would do to him! So I ignored him. But when his stares began too much for me to handle, I quietly handed him my sparkler. What a joy flushed on his face! The way he played with it made me feel that perhaps he had never burst crackers on this festival. I had never imagined that a small thing like sparkler could give so much happiness. 

This incident was a turning point for me and made me realize the true significance of not only Diwali but every festival, is to give happiness to someone who is in dire need of it. It would be more appropriate to say that Diwali is the festival of lights of lives of people who have been lit through your effort. Happiness cannot be grown on trees nor can be purchased. It just can be felt and passed through one another through such kind gestures. Perhaps you must have got sense of what I am trying to say here. As this Diwali approaches, let us pledge to do something for those who are not as fortunate as we are, who are not as wealthy as we are, for those who are orphaned or differently abled, for those who cannot afford even a square meal a day. It might take your only little time but will give you a more peaceful sleep. I have already thought of celebrating this Diwali in a special way. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment