Wednesday, June 18, 2014

TOUGH TASK: A DAY UNDER A POOR’S SHELTER

Having a cup of tea and hogging snacks with our cunning eyes on plate of biscuits is what we do when we visit our far-far relatives, who may be much closer to our parents. And inside, we also mumble “Couldn't they ask me for a soft drink in this hot summer?” But the thing is that at least we have some advantages over there, like we get to hear the banal stories of uncle’s job, which may make us sleep well or we need not to start the conversation with them that can be initiated itself by our parents when the topic of our studies is raised by either of the sides. Now if someone asks whether we can spend a whole day under the shelter of a poor, hearing his grievances, tough replies are blatantly expected.

It was quite hot and humidity due to light rain teasers was so irritating that my forehead abraded wiping off the sweat. It was a location, hardly a kilometer from Ghaziabad railway station, where some slums were settled over both sides of the road. I was heading to visit one of the slums, but the conditions were so pathetic that I thought if they would throw me out of the entry, how to run from there as quickly as possible. It was muddy all over; the slums were built on the same level at which the sewage water was flowing, forming gullies around heaps of garbage over which pigs were scrounging for their meals. A herd of kids, wearing torn underwear, were throwing stones into a dirty pond and chortling when the waves on the surface of water appeared diverging. Women outside their shelter were blowing their coal braziers from which choking smoke was diffusing into air. I stopped in front of a man who was sitting beside his slum and looking at the people passing by the road. He stood up and looked at me as if he was an eager participant of any reality show and I would be announcing the winner of that sequel. I appeased his curiosity by telling him about my motive, though a bit exaggerated, but not as much as those fake wishers who do for lust of power and money. The man let me come inside his dilapidated cottage, where a year old baby, crying for milk, checked me if I had a bottle of it, I gave a cunning smile also feeling sorry for the disturbance. Suddenly a lady entered who covered her face when she saw me. It was suffocating to stay inside a place with paleness spread all over and a strange smell moving into my nostrils, but I controlled myself trying to develop acquaintances and share their problems. The man had a wife and three children, of which two were girls. “What do you do to arrange for meals?” I asked looking at his wife who brought a glass of water, a glass which lost its shape several years ago. I quickly checked what can be possible water borne disease if I would drink it because the whole arrangement was unhygienic. Without any second thought, I drank the whole, coddling myself “If your body can bear hostel food for three years, this water is far better than it”. The man replied that he was a rag picker and his wife was a sweeper. “None of them want to study and we can’t even guarantee them a meal for the next day, how can us…. Education” the man said with wrinkled face showing his inability to survive. There was lying a basket in which rotten meals were collected, pointing at which I asked about and the man replied it is the food which his wife gets from local people for sweeping the streets. “If I will teach your children and take responsibility to make them stand on their own will you let me?” I asked him but his reply was nonchalant because he was a bit concerned about his girls and present conditions regarding the safety of girls. I didn't put pressure to my words and asked the permission to leave with a smile, but this one was showing my helplessness. Moving out of his shelter, I assured him that I will meet him again with a guarantee for support, a support with education, a support with a quarter of basic needs and encouragement, from my group of humble members; because the people are waking up gradually and a time will come when there will be more hands to help than the poor themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment